Friday, October 10, 2008

Wonderful Women

I feel so blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful godly women that attend our church. Saturday I went to my very first womens event: Joni E. Tada! Now, I knew her story, read it as a kid, but had never met her or heard much more than how she became a quadrapalegic. I have to tell you -- she is amazing! She hasn't let anything slow her down. Married and running a wonderful organization that takes wheelchairs and the gospel to disabled individuals all over the world! But what really got me is her blazing passion for life and for the gospel.

She talked to us about how weak we think our souls are. We think we can't handle what we've been given. That God has given us enough and when one more thing happens it's just too much to handle. "Your soul is not as fragile as you think," she said. Such a good truth. On the one hand we are unable in our own right to accomplish anything, but we CAN, in His grace, handle everything that He so lovingly places upon us. Instead of sinking further under the covers thinking we can't handle the day that we know will be overwhelming, we should lift up our cares to our loving Savior and then take on with fire the day that He has given us and do our best for Him and His kingdom. It was so humbling listening to her say all of this. Here am I, young, relatively healthy, without any major catastrophic tragedies in my life, and yet so quick to complain about things, even if its just to myself. Most recently I was lamenting the stomache issues that have been painful and persistent, yet to be accurately diagnosed. I would have a pity party and complain to my poor husband who tried his hardest to serve me and get me to have a better attitude. Who am I? Gazing up at a woman who for most of her life has been confined to a wheelchair without even the ability to cough on her own, and yet you do not hear her complain. My only thought was - I'm so selfish. I have so much to be thankful for and yet I allow the smallest things to cause such an uproar in my life.

It was so challenging to hear her tell stories of how she has used her disability to her advantage, to the Lord's advantage. To have a smiling face in the midst of her pain and struggles, to sing Amazing Grace in elevators to start conversations with those around her (something I would never have the courage to do, I think people would look at me like I was nuts - go Joni!), to encourage others who are limited in this life by God's sovereign design to realize that they too are blessed greatly by our Lord and that we all deserve none of it. To hear her talk about heaven and all the glories that will be there is incredible. To hear her say that 90 seconds in heaven will be more than worth all of the pain and suffering in this life nearly brings you to tears. For she has been through far more pain and suffering than most of us will ever experience. Personally, I think heaven will be far more glorious to her than to some of us, simply because of the life she will compare it to.

It is often a thought in my head that I would not be able to handle being in a situation such as hers, but part of me thinks that God gives more grace where it is needed. And He has blessed her with patience, perserverence and a hope that I can only hope to have someday after I have weathered lifes storms. It is definitely a process. Thankfully God also gives grace for the process of sanctification.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just a curious question...does she say things like "disabled" and "confined to a wheelchair" when she describes herself? I asked her about that once by email after I read someone else's description of her...so I'd be curious to compare that to what actually happens when she speaks! :-)

Matt and Jaymee said...

She does...she said quite a few things to that effect. She's no different than the rest of us. I'm limited in what I can do just because of the skills God has or has not given me. I've heard some interesting arguments as far as disabilities go. I've encountered Deaf people who believe they are "perfect." And in the sense that they are exactly as God wanted them to be in this world, then yes. But in the sense that they are everything that God had originally planned for a sinless world then no. Sin entered the world and brought with it lots of consequences. In that sense none of us are perfect as God originally intended when He made Adam and Eve. I personally think that my brother will be able to hear in heaven, but as of now, he cannot and I'd rather spend time with him as my brother than trying to convince. the world that he's the same as everyone else.

Matt and Jaymee said...

Just a second of clarification :) I totally and completely think that everyone should be given equal access and equal opportunity and should be treated with the ultimate in respect. I just think of terms like "disabled," "deaf," "blind," and other things to that effect as descriptors and descriptors only. Kind of like how people get described as "short," "tall," "african-american," etc.